During the weekend, we lost many amazing Americans, friends, family members and the promise that their bright futures held. This horrific act reaffirms and strengthens our shared commitment for healthy communities that includes the inclusion and protection of the LGBT community.
Care Resource stands with our brothers and sisters in Orlando during this most difficult time. We understand that the healing process is different for each of us. In the days and weeks to come, we will come to depend on our crisis counselors, community leaders, government services, and financial resources to address these needs.
Our therapists are licensed and trained to work with the sensitive issues faced by our diverse communities. Our clinicians come from different approaches including clinical social work, marriage and family counseling, and mental health. Styles range from client centered supportive psychotherapy for addictions, cognitive behavioral counseling for depression, to assisted relaxation training and guided imagery for pain management or social anxiety. Our therapists come from a variety of different backgrounds and orientations just like our community.
On Monday, June 13th, Grief counseling is available at PRIDELINES located at 6360 NE 4th Court in Miami, FL.
Below are other available resources:
Equality Florida has set up a GoFundMe Account that has already raised over $1,000,000 of the current $1,500,000 goal. The funds raised will go directly to the victims and families affected by this tragedy. Donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/PulseVictimsFund
- Care Resource’s services are available from therapists who are well trained and highly experienced in the issues that are unique to our communities of color in either English or Spanish. 305-576-1234. http://www.careresource.org/hivaids/care-treatment/counseling/
- The GLBT Community Center of Central Florida is referring folks to First Unitarian Church, 1901 east Robinson street, Orlando, FL 32803 for grief counseling.
- For anyone needing support today, you may call the Zebra Coalition hotline at (407) 228-1446 to speak to a counselor.
- From the UCF LGBT student services director: Our LGBT student hang out space, Pride Commons, will reopen Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm, with group counseling available from 1pm-2pm daily.
- More information on counselors can be found at eqfl.org/news/pulse
OneBlood, the local blood bank in Orlando, posted an emergency need for O-, O+, and AB Plasma in the light of last night’s tragedy. Due to overwhelming support by the community, they are now asking that folks make an appointment to donate this week. Call 1.888.9.DONATE (1.888.936.6283) or click here: https://www.oneblood.org/donate-now/
Through education, prevention, research, care and treatment and support services, Care Resource improves upon the health and overall quality of life of our diverse South Communities in need.